Past Perfect Simple

Definition :
The past perfect simple expresses an action taking place before a certain time in the past.

Form of Past Perfect Simple:

PositiveNegativeQuestion
no differencesI had spoken.I had not spoken.Had I spoken?

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding ed:

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding edExample
after final e, only add dlove – loved
final consonant after a short, stressed vowel
or l as final consonant after a vowel is doubled
admit – admitted
travel – travelled
final y after a consonant becomes ihurry – hurried

Use of Past Perfect :


action taking place before a certain time in the past

Example: Before I came here, I had spoken to Jack.

Conditional Sentences Type III (condition that was not given in the past)

Example: If I had seen him, I would have talked to him.

Signal Words  :


already, just, never, not yet, once, until that day (with reference to the past, not the present)
If-Satz Typ III (If I had talked, …)

No comments:

Post a Comment